Monday, March 5, 2012

Surf

I havn't picked up my camera in weeks.  Life's just been busy and I've hadn't had much inspiration.  But I decided that I'd make a point of it on Saturday to get out and shoot  Well it turned out I picked an awsome (or terrible) day.
I love inclement weather.  I like bundling up and going for a walk in a snow storm.  I love being outside during a thunderstorm.  When the near hurricane force winds hit, I couldn't resist. I braved the fierce winds Saturday to check out the beach.  I didn't think it was too bad when I left home.  I heard it blowing outside, but it didn't seem to much out of the ordinary.  Well, except for the roar of the surf I could hear from about 4 blocks away.  As  I neared the beach, I could tell I had gotten myself into more than I had bargained for.  Not only was the wind whipping up the waves, but it was also creating a sandstorm.  Any loose sand, not frozen, was blowing around.  I thought about turning around then and there, not wanting to risk my camera in the sandstorm, and after getting a mouth full of sand.  But I pressed on.  I headed for the some shelter at the far end of the beach, near the Coast Guard house.  From there I was blocked from the wind, and upwind of the the beach, so no sand.

After the beach, I thought about heading on to the pier, but the way the waves were breaking, I decided to be smart and not head out there.  I wouldn't stand a chance on foot.  So I headed around the harbour, fighting wind the whole way.  It was violent.  The wind almost knocked me off my feet a few times.  I had never experienced wind like that before.  It really was awe inspiring.  I ended up just watching the fury, and not shooting a whole lot of pictures.  Absolutely amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment